11 Apr What is my motivation?
Motivation is be a wonderful necessary energy.
You need motivation to accomplish your work, doing the laundry (not my fav!), maintaining relationships, etc. Motivation gets us moving in the right direction.
When ever I hear the word motivation I hear it with a dramatic sound to it. Motivation!! Motivation!! I always think about Jon Lovitz as the master thespian on Saturday Night Live. He would ask “What’s my motivation?!” and when ever he got done with a scene he would let say “Ha, Ha HA!! Acting!”
What does that have to do with anything? Motivation is great but can have another side too. We can have ulterior motives to an action. It can be to get ahead, hurt someone else or take a short cut. I am learning to not to be tied to an outcome and really watching my motivation (ha! ha! acting! – Sorry can’t help myself!) when I do something. It’s OK to want something for yourself but it’s important to be open about it versus expecting something from someone else or going about it in a round about way.
Some questions I ask myself
1. Is this in the best interest for all?
2. Am I looking for some personal gain just for myself at the expense of others?
3. If I want or need something can I just ask for it or find a more straightforward way?
4. Am I friend with this person because we complement each other or I want something OR vice versa?
5. If I am honest with myself, does this feel like the right thing to do?
When I feel like something is the right thing I do it, but if I have reservations or something does not feel right I check my motivation. All the best!